Could it really be that just one year ago, our little Sasha was born and forever changed our lives (for the better)? Happy 1st Birthday, munchkin! Here's a look at how we got here and some highlights from her birthday party on Saturday, Aug 29. Thanks so much to everyone for coming and celebrating with us - it was a blast!





Sasha took the lead from there and got more and more into the cake. Not only is she an amazing cake eater, but very flexible too. :)



So, Happy Birthday to you, our sweet daughter. We love you so much and are so grateful for everything you have taught us. We look forward to many more lessons and fun adventures with you!

How it all began...

Sasha Mary Henson was born on September 1, 2008
7 lbs, 1 ounce
21 inches

Time to celebrate with a Safari party since Sasha loves animals (especially lions) so much. Here's a taste of the decorations complete with animal crossing signs, vines, leaves and animal print everywhere.
Our back yard was transformed into a jungle oasis with the help of mom and dad's gazebo and mister. I have to thank my sweetie Aaron for working so hard to fix up the yard by putting in the new edging and making it look so beautiful. Thanks love!
No party is complete without plenty of games to play, especially soccer. The kids also enjoyed the sidewalk chalk and the swing.

The lion pinata came next with lots of wild swings. Aaron almost lost a few limbs holding the string up, but luckily escaped with only a few bruises.

Gifts were lots of fun for Sasha, although she didn't enjoy the whole idea of opening a gift and not playing with it. I loved her silly expressions of wonder and awe when opening the gifts. Thanks again to everyone for the gifts and for your generosity.

Special thanks to Brandan, Becky and family who sent a wonderful book from Oregon.

The much anticipated cake experience was last, but definitely not least. I attempted making a cake from scratch this year since I've never really tried before. The bottom cake is Texas sheet cake (chocolate) with white buttercream frosting and black fondant stripes. The top cake is french vanilla with yellow buttercream frosting and brown fondant spots. Rachel and my mom supplied all of the cake making supplies and I'm glad it turned out pretty well since both of the vanilla cakes kind of fell apart when I took them out of the pans. Hallelujah for frosting, the duct tape of the baking world!

Sasha's "crash" cake made of french vanilla with a chocolate buttercream frosting.

Sasha started out a little timid with the cake, not knowing what to do with it since she hasn't had sugar or sweets before. Aaron put some frosting in her mouth and thus it began...
Sasha took the lead from there and got more and more into the cake. Not only is she an amazing cake eater, but very flexible too. :)
I cut the cake in half so she could actually taste something more than frosting and that's when the real party started. She picked up one of the halves of the cake and starting shoving it in her mouth as fast as she could.

By the end, she was literally covered in cake and loving every minute of it. It was so hilarious to watch her experience sugar for the first time. That's our little one - go big or go home!

So, Happy Birthday to you, our sweet daughter. We love you so much and are so grateful for everything you have taught us. We look forward to many more lessons and fun adventures with you!

8 comments:
WOW I cannot believe a year has alreay gone by! Happy Birthday Sasha!!
That cake looks awesome. You did a great job. Sorry we couldn't have been there. It is crazy how time flys.
Super fun! we wish we could have been there especially to see the cake eating. The cakes looked great too, way to go! We love you guys.
Happy Birthday, little Sasha. What a fun birthday. Becki, the cake looks awesome!
Happy Birthday Sasha! Love the photos of Sasha diving into her cake (which was adorable.) We're glad you liked the book.
Cute post and cute little girl! It looked like a great party and I'm impressed with your cakes. Beware the Olivia book I noticed in the gift pics. Olivia is Kate's hero and she does everything Olivia does including art work on the wall. :) You still have many fun adventures ahead of you. Becky, I am in the YW back here and I need some ideas. Help me.
Has it already been a year? Wow, what a milestone. Happy birthday Sasha! The party looks like so much fun, the cakes amazing, you so radiant (love the haircut), and the Costco tunnel/tent set is so great. Kudos to both of you for pulling off such a fun party.
love the cakes! How inspiring!
I year already? Gosh I feel old!
Post a Comment