Monday, February 8, 2010

Hello...again!


I know, I know...it's been way too long. Well, I'm back and promise to be better if you'll forgive me for the longer-than-usual hiatus. We've had so much fun over New Year's and being able to spend lots of time with family and friends. Okay, so sometimes Sasha and I get a little stir-crazy being inside more than usual, but we're surviving. We've still managed quite a few trips to the park or just walking around outside to find treasures (live dogs or cats are the most exciting for Sasha). I have to be careful when I say "park" or "outside" because Sasha assumes that the effect is immediate and we'll be heading out instantly. She is such an outdoor/nature girl. Her loves right now include any living animal, leaves, pinecones, music and pianos. If there is a piano in sight, she wants to play it. She even got in a duet with her cute cousin, Abrie.
The Fireplace - a Tale of Triumph
Over a year ago, we decided to remodel our fireplace because it was gargantuan and a definite hazard. Just picture a fireplace with a huge, black facade surrounded by bulky, square, white columns and golden accents. It probably would have been more suited to a Roman palace. We were so excited to begin the project that we tore out the steps and columns in one night. Yay us for being so proactive. Eight months later, the project was still in the same condition that we had left it - a gaping hole in our family room wall with chairs and various objects in front of it to keep Sasha out. Not to be bested by our fireplace, we decided to again take action and found a beautiful mantle on ksl. A short two months later, we tackled the task of finding tile. At last, we were able to put everything up and remove the barriers that had been there for so long. Drum roll, please...
The fireplace is complete! Okay, joking aside, I have to say "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You" to my sweet honey, my dad and Aaron's dad for working so hard to finally complete this project. I absolutely love how everything turned out and Sasha is very grateful to have free reign of the space again. The photo doesn't do it justice so you'll just have to come over and check it out yourself. Man, it feels so good to complete a project!

We send out a big "I love you" to the newest member of our extended family, Jake Tribe. Congrats, Lys and John - he's adorable!
I promise to post more photos of Sasha soon. You won't believe how long her hair has gotten and all the new words she's coming up with, especially as she copies everything we say.
The other day, Aaron bumped his head and said, "Gosh!" Sasha immediately started copying him as she walked around the house saying "Gosh," but it eventually wore off and we forgot about it. Then, just the other day, Sasha was trying to climb down from a chair, but a pillow was in her way. All of a sudden, she said, "Gosh!" and I couldn't help but crack up. I love, love, love this stage (even with the beginning of tantrums and such) as Sasha learns to express herself more to us. Kuddos to all those moms out there - you are amazing!

4 comments:

Brandan and Becky said...

The fireplace looks great. Love the tiles you used.

Alyssa and Co. said...

Congrats on the fireplace! It looks awesome. I love the shout out to Jake as he is pretty adorable. I understand about the stir crazy feeling, we're living through that right now. We love you!

Gingerlylizzy said...

Beautiful job on the fireplace! You are all adorable. I CANNOT believe how big Sasha is getting! Love you guys!

w and w said...

well happy love holiday to you. What a great book! And check out that fireplace. Seriously, anything that happens during the age of one is just down right adorable. Yep it's in stone. Miss you so.